Why get an International Studies Ph.D. From the Jackson School?
What makes our program different than other International Studies Ph.Ds?
- Unique Approach: The Jackson School Ph.D Program is the only program of its kind, which redefines international studies in a coherent research program through unique innovation in four foundational fields that combine seamlessly with our renowned area studies.
- Cross-disciplinary: The program goes beyond single-lens disciplines to encompass global themes, issues, and challenges that cut across all social science disciplines, and that aim at real-world problems.
- Shortened Timeline: The program features a highly personalized Research Tutorial system that combines with conventional coursework to allow students to finish in 3-4 years instead of the usual 5-6 years required for other doctoral programs.
- Research Training: The Jackson School Ph.D. relies on extensive in-house faculty teaching and research capabilities to train doctoral candidates. Our first-year Research Tutorial is an intensive and doctoral-level training approach that uses issues, techniques and concepts in social science research methods to help practically advance each student’s specific research agenda as appropriate.
- Individual Mentoring: Our program features a targeted and sustained mentoring system for all students and provides individual guidance and support during their doctoral candidacy.
- Established Reputation: The Jackson School's deep commitment to area and international studies dates back to 1909. There are 14 world-renowned centers that are affiliated with the school; of the 14 centers, eight are National Resource Centers that are funded by the Department of Education under the Title VI Program. With its history and the resources that are available to it, the
Jackson School is well positioned to maintain its well-deserved reputation as one of the best schools of international studies in the world.